Où nous irons... (Where we will go)

  • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
  • Gent, Belgium
  • Paris, France
  • Chambéry, France
  • Venice, Italy
  • Lyons, France
  • Geneva, Switzerland
  • Nimes, France
  • Montpellier, France

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

deux semaines

I have two weeks until I'm supposed to be packed and ready to go...and I'm getting incredibly nervous. Jon and I spent yesterday afternoon picking out train times and deciding where, exactly, we're taking ourselves. It was the first time I realized that I'm completely responsible for myself and that I'm flying over 14 hours to convince myself that I can speak another language.

There are so many things that I'm looking forward to: finding the perfect gift for people back home, getting yelled at for speaking like an American, taking classes in a completely different school system, the food, the music, the trains... The goal is to eliminate English- except for this blog and phone calls- when we get on the plane to Paris. Jon pointed out that this could be slightly confusing when we go to Barcelona and Italy, where there are obviously other national languages. Either way, I'd rather confuse them in French than let my mind fall back on English.

I'm positive that I'm going to forget something. I have everything that I need to get into the country...minus a visa, which is actually pretty key (getting it Friday), and I have all that I need to take a shower. I have some batteries, but not enough. Why are they so expensive? And then there are all of the clothes- and the clothes I CAN'T pack because I'll be hassled by Europeans. I can't forget my addresses for postcard sending or my books, my ipod, books for class, notebooks and pens, pictures, shoes, a dress for the gala and my ONE suitcase that I'm allowed to check! Oooh, this will be interesting. As will the ironing I need to do to get ready for that.

No comments: