Où nous irons... (Where we will go)

  • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
  • Gent, Belgium
  • Paris, France
  • Chambéry, France
  • Venice, Italy
  • Lyons, France
  • Geneva, Switzerland
  • Nimes, France
  • Montpellier, France

Monday, June 30, 2008

Genève

So, we went to Genevia on Saturday. Switzerland is an amazing, beautiful country and the coffee I got when Jon and I stole away from the usual crowd we hang out with was exactly what I needed to fix my mood and get me ready for tourism.

There's really not much to report. We spent the day sampling chocolate and walking down the streets, finding random buildings and listening to French conversation. We would stumble upon an interesting building or just stop on the bridge to admire the huge jet of water from their fountain, or the clear water. Most of the time, we were envying their ability to be neutral and amazing in every way.

We toured the United Nations and I learned so much. The compound is the largest next to the one in the U.S. It was also the home of the League of Nations. I've thought about working with them, through UNICEF or another humanitarian-based organization for a long time. Being there and feeling the hope and possibility within the place, and learning how much the countries have worked together to keep it going makes that want so much stronger.

I know it's not terribly exciting, but outside of eating the best sugar-free chocolate of my life, made with tangerine purée instead of sweeteners, the feeling I had in the UN makes everything else feel so small.

Today is the 21 week mark for me. At this time three Mondays from now, I will be somewhere over the ocean, heading to Toronto.

No comments: